10 Days New Zealand – Stay/Drive for 2016 & 2017
Below you will find what we consider to be the best value for money stay-drive itineraries covering the most popular areas of New Zealand or if you prefer you can design your own itinerary and we will be happy to provide a cost for New Zealand holidays package.
New Zealand 10 Days Itinerary
DAY 1 ARRIVE CHRISTCHURCH
Upon arrival Christchurch ring Go Rentals from any phone to reconfirm collection details 0800 467 368 – They are aware of your arrival details as you will have completed pre registration at time of booking. If you are taking the Tranz Alpine option make your way to the Thrifty counter in the arrivals hall.
Thrifty – Toll free phone 0800737 070
DAY 2 CHRISTCHURCH – MOUNT COOK -OMARAMA
Drive time Christchurch – Mount Cook 4Hrs 50Mins (332Kms).
Drive time Mount Cook – Omarama 1Hr 22Mins (94Kms).
Your journey will take you across the Canterbury Plains and McKenzie Country. After your visit to the foot of Mount Cook you will proceed to your evening accommodation at Omarama.
DAY 3 OMARAMA – DUNEDIN
Drive Time 3Hrs (233kms).
Leaving Omarama you travel to the east coast via Oamaru to Dunedin the New Zealand Holidays destination with a strong Scottish Today we will leave the centre of the South Island and travel to the east coast and the coastal town of Dunedin.
DAY 4 DUNEDIN – TE ANAU
Drive time 4Hrs (298Kms).
You will have time this morning to look around the attractions of Dunedin before heading once more into the centre of the South Island.
DAY 5 TE ANAU/MILFORD SOUND/QUEENSTOWN
Drive Time Te Anau – Milford 1Hr 40Mins (116Kms) .
Drive Time Milford – Queenstown 4Hrs (290Kms).
The scenery today is spectacular as you journey deep into the Fiordland National Park.
We have included a Milford Nature Cruise as the experience of the sheer grandeur of the Sound will provide ever lasting memories.
DAY 6 QUEENSTOWN
You may wish to experience some of the most spectacular country New Zealand has to offer by doing a Dart River Wilderness Safari which takes you into “Lord of the Rings” territory (see options).
We do recommenda evening dining at the Skyline Restaurant & Gondola.(see options).
DAY 7 QUEENSTOWN- FRANZ JOSEF
Drive Time 5Hrs 30Mins (392Kms)
The journey today will take you through Arrowtown, Cromwell and the lakes of Dunstan, Hawea & Wanaka. Travelling over the Haast Pass you will view amazing Thunder Creek Falls before arriving onto the West Coast. Passing Fox Glacier the biggest of the West Coast Glaciers you will make your way to Franz Josef Glacier for your overnight accommodation.
DAY 8 FRANZ JOSEF
Spectacular scenery awaits you today.
You may like to simply walk the base of the Glacier or experience the true magnitude of this cradle of ice by doing a Heli-hike or a Helicopter with snow landing (see options).
DAY 9 FRANZ JOSEF/GREYMOUTH/CHRISTCHURCH
Drive Time 5Hrs (388Kms)
This morning you will be make your way to Greymouth before heading across the Southern Alps to descend once more into Christchurch.
Option: Take Tranz Alpine (Train) from Greymouth to Christchurch and we will arrange transfer to accommodation in Christchurch on arrival.
DAY 10 CHRISTCHURCH – HOME
Make your way to the airport where you will return your car and make your way home.
- $ 848.00pp – Twin Share – High Seaon
- $ 712.00pp – Twin Share – Low Season
- $ 86.00pp – Twin Share – High Season
- $ 74.00pp – Twin Share – Low Season
- Low – 01 May 16 – 30 September 16
- High – 01 October 16 – 30 April 17
- $10.00per day to upgrade to Toyota Corolla Automatic or Similar
- 9Nights Accommodation- Golden Chain Blue – Twin Share
- 9Days Car Hire – Hyundai Getz Manual/Similar – Thrifty – Toyota Yaris Manual/Similar
- Refundable bond of NZD$2500.00 PAYABLE on pick up we recommend travel insurance which is available to be quoted on our web site
- If you choose Tranz Alpine option Thrifty Excess is NZD$2990.00 & Airport pick up fee NZD$40.25 PAYABLE on pick up
- Dart River Wilderness Safari – $188.00pp
- Skyline Restaurant, Dinner & Gondola – $72.00pp
- Glacier Valley Walk (3 Hour Duration) – $68.00pp
- Helicopter over Glacier with snow landing – $168.00pp
- Heli-Hike – $379.00pp
- Tranz Alpine – $249.00pp*
- Transfer accommodation to airport $20.00pp
* Due drop off fees at Greymounth it is cheaper to use Thrifty Car Hire & above cost for Tranz Alpine incorporates additional daily car hire rate without a drop off fee.
- Costs are correct as at 01 May 2016 and subject to currency fluctuation.
Main Photograph: Brian High, Ferns